Cite as: Muscat A, de Olde EM, de Boer IJM & Ripoll-Bosch R (2019), ‘The battle for biomass: A systematic review of food-feed-fuel competition’, Global Food Security, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gfs.2019.100330 (available on-line 28 October 2019).
Open access: Available in open access at https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gfs.2019.100330.
- Food, feed and fuel production compete for natural and economic resources.
- Seven factors determine the availability and effective use of biomass and resources.
- Studies reviewed set priorities for biomass according to different perspectives.
- Knowledge gaps and uncertainties hamper the effective use of biomass.
- A framework setting priority for biomass for human consumption first is suggested.