WEF Nexus in Energy Models: The Case of Biofuel | October 9th, 2018 | DG RTD, Brussels |
The focus group 'WEF Nexus in Energy Models: The Case of Biofuel' forms part of the 2019 conference of the Energy Modelling Platform for Europe (EMP-E 2019): 'Modelling the implementation of A Clean Planet For All Strategy', and will take place on Wednesday, 09 October 2019, in Brussels.
This focus group aims at a critical examination of the uncertainties, trade-offs and controversies surrounding the role of biofuels in decarbonisation objectives using a biophysical perspective based on the water-energy-food-land-climate nexus. The discussion will be informed by the results of our project 'Moving to Adaptive Governance in Complexity: Informing Nexus Security' (MAGIC), notably the innovation case study on Biofuels.
The following specific concerns will be addressed:
- To what extent do biofuels contribute to sustainability (e.g. GHG savings, pressures on land), security of supply and market competitiveness - locally and globally?
- Is the long-term commitment to biofuels encouraging potentially dangerous loopholes (e.g. favour some unsustainable second-generation biofuels)?
- Do advanced biofuels represent a reliable net energy supply for the future (considering the current and future costs and scalability)?
- Identification of common problems and challenges in modelling the role of biofuels in EU energy policy; evaluating the added value of the WEF-nexus approach.
- Maintaining an open and informed deliberation about the uncertainties and trade-offs inherent in EU policies and related technological innovations in order to guarantee the quality and fairness of the process of decision-making.
Format: Following two short 10 minutes presentations to prime the discussion, the focus group will take the form of a world café: three twenty-minute rounds of small group conversations around three tables. Each table will be presented with a specific set of questions around the issues listed above.
Session chairs: Mario Giampietro and Maddalena Ripa (Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona)
Contact information: Maddalena Ripa (email@example.com)